Friday, September 2, 2016

Hoping for a Good Blizzard Tech

Hoping for a Good Blizzard Tech

Game Note: When the Legion pre-patch was installed I ran into a problem with an addon called Bodyguardhealth. This addon was very simple - it gave me a bar that showed the health of the bodyguard. That addon caused a conflict with the experience bar and the new Legion artifact bar. The addon took over the xp bar and now shows Draenor bodyguard leveling progress instead of character leveling. What's worse is that it mangled my dominos addon buttons. The dominos problem went away, but I have no way to see where Jocy stands in leveling or - scary thought - if no leveling is being recorded.

I tried turning the addon off and that didn't work. I made sure that no bodyguards were assigned to the barracks. I deleted the addon, and when that didn't work I destroyed all signs of the addon. That didn't get rid of it either. Going to Blizzard got me the same answer they always give - wipe the slate clean and start over. Which sucks and involves a huge amount of work re-establishing all my characters, not just those affected.

This affects only those horde players I was using with bodyguardhealth. Whatever bodyguard was active when the pre-patch was installed took over the xp bar. So, though only those characters were affected, I would still have to completely scrub even the characters that don't have the problem. That's Blizz's idea of helping.

I tested an idea that could have made make things worse. Bodyguardhealth was recently upgraded for Legion. What if I installed it on a character that was infected, and then uninstalled the addon. Would that fix things? Or would it infect other characters who don't have the problem? Dangerous choices.

Getting desperate, I made Philly install the updated addon, and then deleted it. It made no difference. Same problem.

Despite these obstacles, Jocy was able to complete the Paladin segment for Legion. Jocy now owns both her blade and shield artifacts. What she doesn't know is whether she's getting any experience.

Tiphaine decided to take a break so Keya got a chance to make her first visit to the Broken Isles. It went quite well - for about ten minutes. Then the game crashed, burdened by error codes. Lots of people having the same problem. By late evening, though, Keya had gotten some good work in. She focused on Val 'sharah, a druid area that Wild will like when he gets there. She decided to use her artifact items, raising her artifact power to 60. For comparison, Tiphaine has artifact power of 120. Improved gear is still rare. Keya managed to move the bar on her gear only slightly, from i705 to i706. Artifact power may be the stat to go by, though.

PS - I'm already seeing players at the new max level of 110. Good for them. I'm going to take it easy.

Update on the bodyguard problem - I turned in a trouble ticket to the  author on wowace.

1 comment:

  1. Is you wife ever going to update us on the kitties? We just got two new ones (6 months and a 1 year old).

    ReplyDelete