Monday, February 11, 2013

Weekend (10 Feb) - Awash in Pets

Weekend (10 Feb) - Awash in Pets

The Wild Family now has 164 companion pets. Of those 164 pets, 109 of them are unique, one-of-a-kind pets. That may sound like a lot, but I am still very short of collecting every pet in the game - by 400. So, the Wild Family may be awash in pets, but there's still a tsunami of pets out there I don't have yet. I'm not really a collector, though. I generally only capture rare level pets, killing lesser quality pets for leveling even if I don't have one captured yet.

I've made some progress in killing Tamers this weekend. I'm now in Northrend, and have downed all but the last Tamer, Okrut Dragonwaste. Made four attempts on him so far, and haven't really gotten close to besting him. Despite shifting my level 25s around to maximize matchups, I just don't have the right types to beat this guy. I will be doing some research to see what the right makeup of my team should be. Even after I down Okrut, there is still the Grand Master Tamer of Northrend to defeat, an even bigger challenge. Then the Cata Tamers and Cata Grand Master will be tackled next.

Here's the latest update:
The Level 25s
25 - Strand Crawler (Aquatic)
25 - Spirit of Competition (Dragonkin)
25 - 'Lil Deathwing (Dragonkin)
25 - Fluxfire Feline (Mechanical)
25 - Eternal Strider (Aquatic)

The Eternal Strider has a little story behind him. I camped the area in Pandaria's Vale of Eternal Blossoms where the striders are, and spent over an hour farming them for a rare. I finally got lucky and got a rare in a three pet battle. Unfortunately, I had an overpowered team and accidentally killed it! My rare was gone. After getting over the disappointment, I came back later in the day and spent another hour plus farming them and this time, when I got a rare, I successfully captured it at level 23. Many battles later, the Eternal Strider reached level 25 and is a powerful addition to the team.

The Up and Comers (For each pet type)
24 - Golden Civet Kitten (Aquatic)
    This looks a little like a groundhog, and does a decent job in routine matches, but doesn't really stand up to the tougher Tamers. It's also an Aquatic, and I have two of those already at 25. He'll likely reach 25 just by inertia, but I doubt he'll see action against any Grand Masters.

23 - Arcane Eye (Magic)
    The Eye was captured at level 17, and I've been working to level him for several days now. He's a hit or miss type. When he hits, it's beautiful to see, but he dies fast so when he misses, it's over. I also have a second rare Arcane Eye at level 16.

22 - Alpine Foxling (Beast)
    I have several choices for my Beast type, but this newly captured pet gave me a hell of a battle and I like his speed and multiple attacks. I have a level 20 Cat that also has a shot at representing the Beast type.

22 - Effervescent Glowfly (Flying)
    I captured this one just because I could, but he's worked out well in normal battles and is my highest level Flying type. I'll keep looking for something better.

22 - Malayan Quillrat Pup (Critter)
    He's the best I have available, but I'm not that excited about him. This is my least favorite type of pet as far as pet battles go, and I haven't much liked any of them. I'm considering a level 17 Rabbit, which is fast and has two good defensive moves, but there are several kinds of rabbits with similar abilities and I'll need to look into that further. I do plan to pick up a Shimmershell Snail, but it can only be captured at level 3-6 so it will take a little time to level.

15 - Core Hound Pup (Elemental)
    My poor core hound seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle. He's quite good and my highest level Elemental, so I have GOT to get him some work! In the wings and also due for some leveling are the Crimson Lasher (8) and Dark Phoenix Hatchling (7).

11 - Moonkin Hatchling (Humanoid)
    He got off to a fast start and then ... no action. He's all I got in this type, though.

10 - Frosty (Undead)
    As one can see, I didn't exactly make a plan to level up at least one of each type. Frosty is good, but young. There is also a very nice level 10 Ghostly Skull with exactly the same specs as Frosty. Frosty has more attacks, while the Skull can heal.

Hope the Sin/Dead family doesn't mind, but I am going to give a comparison of pets between the Sin/Dead and Wild families for each type of pet. I thought that might be interesting to see. Rare quality only, unless there is none.

Humanoid
Dead: 20 - Peddlefeet (Common) - no rare or uncommon
Wild: 11 - Moonkin Hatchling

Dragonkin
Dead: 25 - Spirit of Competition
Wild: 25 - Spirit of Competition and 'Lil Deathwing

Flying
Dead: 21 - Dragonbone Hatchling
Wild: 22 - Effervescent Glowfly

Undead
Dead: 12 - Infected Fawn
Wild: 10 - Frosty and Ghostly Skull

Critter
Dead: 25 - Shimmershell Snail
Wild: 23 - Prairie Mouse

Magic
Dead: 16 - Arcane Eye
Wild: 23 - Arcane Eye

Elemental
Dead: 21 - Pandaren Fire Spirit
Wild: 15 - Core Hound Pup

Beast
Dead: 17 - Adder
Wild: 23 - Jumping Spider

Aquatic
Dead: 25 - Eternal Strider and Strand Crawler
Wild: 25 - Eternal Strider and Strand Crawler

Mechanical
Dead: 25 - Fluxfire Feline (Uncommon) (highest rare is level 4)
Wild: 25 - Fluxfire Feline

2 comments:

  1. Got to catch em all after all.

    What's up with your wife's blog. She hasn't posted in 2.5 months. I need my Mr. Creme update to see how that adorable cat is doing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been bugging her about that. She says she has one about ready, so stay tuned!

    And thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete