Monday, August 16, 2010

Monday (15 Aug) - My New Digs

Monday (15 Aug) - My New Digs

The Mrs went on a painting spree this weekend, which included starting on my "man dungeon." I had to take apart all of my wall shelving and electronic components as well as doing a desk swap with the Mrs that would put her computer out of action as well.

We started Thursday night, and my all of the household computers were offline on Friday. The Mrs painted all of the wall shelving, which we had originally installed unfinished. Then the wall that the shelving hung from was painted. My room was a total shambles, with parts of computers, modems, routers, monitors, printers, and innumerable other various peripherals scattered about, and all of it covered over in cabling of all colors a foot thick.

I got the desks swapped out, which was something of a major undertaking all by itself, and then was under orders to get the Mrs computer back up and operating, which I got done Saturday.

The Mrs' computer was easy compared to the mess in my room. I like the new arrangement and the swapped desk fits into the room better than the other one. However, some of the cabling came up too short - monitor cables, mouse cables, keyboard cables, speaker cables - they just wouldn't stretch far enough.

Got all that taken care of, connected everything together, and started turning things on. My biggest worry went smoothly - getting all of the network and internet connections back where they were supposed to be worked fine. But most everything else had to be reworked one way or another.

It was today (Monday) before I got everything working. I'm also trying out a new keyboard. Keyboards are like new clothes, they don't usually feel right the first time I wear them, and they take some breaking in before they feel comfortable. So right now this keyboard feels stiff and I have to hit the keys harder than on my old one. The keys are just slightly larger, too, which is one reason I got it, but that also means my fingers don't quite hit the keys right - at least until I get used to the new spacing. I'll give it a try all this week, though, before deciding whether to keep using it.

I can't say whether I'll be on tonight (Monday) or not, as there are still some tweaking to do and our cat is also headed back to the vet tomorrow. Not expecting any problems but the Mrs gets pretty stressed about it.

Hope you enjoyed the little vacation, the Wild family should be back in action soon!

1 comment:

  1. Bigger keys probably means bigger font on the keys; someone is getting old eyes and is sick of squinting towards the keys to read them I assume! :P

    ReplyDelete