Monday, February 1, 2010

Weekend (31 Jan) - The STV Fishing Tournament

Weekend (31 Jan) - The STV Fishing Tournament

Well, a still gimpy Wild wasn't able to do much this weekend. Wild's one accomplishment was earning Exalted rep with the Kalu'ak poeple and getting his new Mastercraft Kalu'ak Fishing Pole. Wild thought he might give the weekly fishing extravaganza in Stranglethorn Vale a chance. Wild didn't much care if he won the contest, since his new pole was bigger and better and sexier than the prize pole, but there are rare fish that can be caught as well. Of course, fishing is just about the only thing I'm capable of doing right now. Well, not the only thing . . .

Wild tested his fishing ability in Grizzly Hills earlier Sunday morning and that went fine with one exception. An allie warrior thought it great fun to aggro mobs on me and try to steal my fishing pools, something I would expect during the tournament, but not while simply fishing for glacial salmon on a Sunday morning. Gimped as I was there wasn't much I could do, so we traded insults via emotes until he got bored. Wild still caught plenty of fish, and I guess that was pretty good preparation for the tournament.

The tournament starts at 2pm. Wild arrived at the Horde fort of Grom'gol about 2:10pm and immediately started working up the coast. The fishing pools are all tastyfish pools during the tournament. It takes forty catches to win, but you must also get your catch to Booty Bay at the Southern tip of Stranglethorn Vale, turn in the fish, and be the first to select a prize in order to win.

It took Wild 23 minutes to catch forty tastyfish, but by that time the main prize had already been won. Wild continued to fish, since I was after the three rare fish that also award a prize. One of the rare fish awards fishing boots and another awards special fishing line that can be permanently attached to the fishing pole. The third fish awards a lucky fishing hat, but that would not be so lucky as Wild already has a better fishing hat. Like I said, the fish are very rare so I doubted I'd catch one. I fished for about an hour total, until I started turning numb with boredom. I fished out a total of 109 tastyfish as well as innumerable other types of ordinary fish. And to my surprise, I fished up a rare one, called Keefer's Angelfish. I was ecstatic - until I discovered that this one awards the fishing hat. Sigh. Wild will likely keep trying if he gets a chance on Sunday afternoons.

On another note, it's been let slip that the next patch, 3.3.2, will be released this coming Tuesday. I'm expecting another lagfest evening. The new Arena 8 season will kick off, along with new honor rewards. In addition, a new wing in Icecrown Citadel will be opened, and a new Boss will arrive in the Vault of Archovan. Wintergrasp will be really popular again as players try to win it so they can tackle the new VoA boss.

I'm sure there will be lots of other smaller things in the patch, but Tuesday night will be a rough night for logging in. I probably will not be healed up enough to raid, but I'll hang around to see how things go. The guild is advertising for more healers, too, and I've seen both a shaman and priest put in applications.

The worst part of this injury, though, from a WoW perspective, is that I will miss the weekly frost raid and have already missed three of the dailies, a loss of 11 frost emblems and even more triumph emblems which puts Wild farther behind in getting gear upgrades.

No comments:

Post a Comment