Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Elite Kills Elude Wild Family

Elite Kills Elude Wild Family

Despite improving gear scores for Wild (i475) and Fist (i468), neither have been able to kill an elite mob on the Isle. It's a little embarrassing. Part of the problem is that the poor souls have to live with the genes they inherited from me. Swift of finger and master of the mouse I am not. That said, both know what their combat rotations are and how to use them. It's not the DPS that's the problem - it's the staying alive part they haven't figured out yet. For that I need to use the other skills that both have at their disposal, most of which rarely get used. Raiding as a healer doesn't require much one on one combat, or any combat at all. There is plenty of killing when questing, but generally Wild and Fist have the upper hand there and don't need to get fancy to bring non-elite mobs down.

Another thing that has hindered the pair is the user interface. During the moving of characters around period when I was consolidating characters into one account, a lot of addons got messed up. I didn't realize how badly until Wild took on one the elite snakes on the Isle. I had been going through Wild's spell book and finding interesting spells I didn't even know existed, because I'd stopped paying attention to the changes. That was a problem, all right. So I was excited to try them out on an elite. Imagine my surprise when Wild shifted into Boomkin, attacked the snake, and then realized - too late - that the spells I wanted to use had disappeared from the display! Druids have more facets than any other character: normal healing, Tree of Life healing, boomkin, cat, bear, fish . . . each one of those forms require their own, specific display showing the needed spells and actions.

It took a couple of hours to get that straightened out. I won't pretend that the bear and cat displays are accurate, but at least I got all the spells in there and can refine that should I need those forms. Fist had it a little easier as far as forms go. She's either her usual windwalker form for DPS, or her mistweaver form for healing. Fist's problem is that she's overwhelmed with spells - I swear that there's a spell for picking her nose in there somewhere. I've tried to place the spells in a logical order and will try to remember to use them before I die instead of after.

The Isle has not been forthcoming with more usable gear lately. The last three pieces that dropped were for plate armor users. It's nice that this gear is Bind on Account, so I can send the gear to someone who could use it. However, the highest level plate wearer in the Wild Family is level 72 death knight Tiphaine. She's a long way from level 90, and has little interest in leveling. That gear is likely to be rotted and corroded junk before anyone is going to need it.

There was a surprise on the guild info board this week. The Meitha guild has scheduled a Flex Raid for Saturday and Sunday this week. As I understand it, there is no gear level requirement for flex raids, so, technically, Wild could sign up for it. However, at Wild's current gear level he would be WAY undergeared for it. No specific raid has been named, so I'm guessing the raid leader will see who signs up/shows up before deciding what raid to tackle.

I checked the Raid Finder to see where Wild stood. Of the 13 LFR raids available, Wild is only eligible for two of them. Flex raids are a level tougher than LFR raids - so Wild is really two tiers of raiding short for flex raids. It seems that most flex raid leaders want gear levels to be at least around i510 or better in order to be successful.

The plan, should Wild accept it, is to spend some time in the Proving Grounds getting some healing practice and then giving the two LFR raids a shot. It's highly unlikely Wild will be geared up well enough by the weekend, but it'll be a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment