Sunday, June 2, 2013

Weekend (2 Jun) - The Grand Plan

Weekend (2 Jun) - The Grand Plan

This is Hammer and Nails, Part Two. First of all, Judi was very happy with her newly organized room. I also made sure Judi's computer and Internet connection was functioning. That was accomplishment #1. For my office, I got my new computer rack in place, and got both of my computers up and running. In the process I cleaned up a lot snarled cabling. I also wound up with four cables I couldn't find a use for anymore. Hmm. Kind of like working on the car and having parts left over. Well, it's all working, so it's all good.

For the next phase I hit the Ikea store again. I put up a second rack just like the first to replace the section of shelving that went to Judi's room. I sent another cabinet to Judi and replaced it with IVAR shelving to hold more books and supplies. That was as far as I intended to take this makeover, until ...

... on Saturday morning, a vision came to me. I realized that my idea of turning my office room into a library, where I could display my favorite books, wasn't grand enough. All of the above work still fell short of what I "could" do. If I worked it right I might be able to build bookshelves along one entire wall of the room. I would have to convince a likely skeptical missus, though. Also, there is one more critical vote I need to get. One of our elder cats, Ellie (who is 13 years old), lives mostly in my office. She has her own litter box and not just one, but two beds to choose from, and her own cat tree. She is somewhat frail and suffers from neuropathy that has sadly weakened her legs, but she doesn't care a wit about any of that. She owns the room and any other cat fool enough to come near "her" stuff is in for trouble. Ellie's needs would have to clearly be the top priority in turning my grand plan into reality.

Well, I figured out a way to make it all work. I think. Then I pitched the idea. Ellie gave a thumbs up to her proposed new digs, pending her inspection once I'm done. I had to sweeten the deal with the missus by promising that ALL of my boxes of books would be removed from the walk-in closet, even if I couldn't get them all into bookshelves. I've culled a lot of books from that closet over the years, but I really have no idea how many are still in there. They'll either fit or they'll be donated.

Once that is done, Judi's plan to convert the closet into an office supplies closet and Avon holding area should be realized. I'm still holding out for one corner to keep my miscellaneous electronic stuff, but a lot of that will probably have to go as well.

I've been taking pictures as I go. Once it's all done, I'll do a picture blog of the before and after.  

New Subject: The Auction House is Closed

What? How could that be? In all the time Happy has been plying the AH, it has never been "closed." Happy got a little popup window that said, "The Auction is closed at the moment. Please try again later." I had time to wonder how the AH could be down while the rest of the world was still working. A few minutes later the servers went down. All of them. Hard crash. On a Saturday. This could take a long time to fix. Actually, they got everything back up and running in under an hour. Nice job. Except that Blizzard has a warning up that there are "connection issues" that are affecting some customers that they are still trying to resolve. So far it hasn't affected our server.

We didn't go to the baseball game on Friday night, although we had planned to. I was too exhausted from my project (hey, don't laugh, wait 'till you see the pictures of the mess I had to deal with; ok, the mess I created). This morning I learned that the game went 17 innings and well past midnight. I never, never leave a game before it's over. It would have been a grueling and boring night since neither team scored a run from the sixth inning until the bottom of the seventeenth. The Padres beat the Blue Jays 4-3. The Padres won, 4-3, again on Saturday. We'll be at the game today, Sunday. Wouldn't it be cool if we won that game, 4-3, as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment