Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Of Baseball, Warcraft, and Conventions

Of Baseball, Warcraft, and Conventions

I've been to many conventions, but in most cases I was there for work related reasons. Going to a convention for fun is not something I thought I would ever bother with. For example, San Diego hosts one of the biggest Comic-Con conventions in the country every year, but I've never had the least interest in going to it.

The first non-work related convention I ever attended was some years back. I don't recall the specific year, but it was a Warcraft convention held in Anaheim. It was a unique time when I had been drawn into the player-vs-player (pvp) world, a style of play that I never thought would appeal to me. Thanks to the help of players like Tanis and Erik, not only did I learn how to pvp, we convinced Judi to join us in the battlegrounds. With that background, Judi and I decided to go to the Warcraft convention held that year in Anaheim. It was a lot of fun, picked up some nice goodies, and just watched wide-eyed at the elaborate costumes and the intensity of the players competing against each other as viewed on several big screens.

My second convention is in progress right now. This time the San Diego Convention Center is hosting the All Star game convention. There is everything you would expect at such an event. Plenty of food, lots of fun things to do (batting cages, kid sections, raffles, etc). Chevrolet is the sponsor and both Judi and I won raffles for All Star baseballs. Nice, since buying one of those baseballs cost like ten bucks.

There were countless stores to throw money at, too, but what we spent most of our time on was the exhibits. If you're not a baseball fan . . .  well, just think of the absolute best hobby you've ever had or have - it's that kind of feeling. There were exhibits from the Hall of Fame with glass cases displaying player jerseys from the earliest days of baseball. There was a special exhibit focused on baseball in San Diego that goes back decades.

I am most passionate about the Negro Leagues. Men have been playing baseball since the 1870's, but black players were banned from major league baseball until 1947 when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier and joined the Brooklyn Dodgers. Before that, black players had their own leagues, which lasted from 1920 until 1966 (although the last formal league folded in 1948). Just seeing all the names of the great black ball players of that age mounted on plaques was quite a thrill for me.

The biggest thrill, though, was getting the autographs of two players who played in the latter days of the Negro Leagues. I met Jim Robinson, an infielder who played Negro League ball from 1953 - 1958 (minus his stint in Korea in the army). I also met Cuban born Pedro Sierra, who began his baseball career in 1954 at the age of 16. He has had a colorful career, playing baseball wherever he could from 1954 to 1975 (minus his army stint from 1959 - 1962). He played ball in Cuba, the USA, Canada, and Mexico.

I have the greatest respect in the world for those players. It was momentous for me to meet them and talk to them.

There is also an exhibit on Women's baseball. Yes, women played baseball, too. The All American Girls Professional Baseball League existed from 1943 to 1954 with over 600 players. The league was founded to keep up the tradition of baseball while most every able bodied man was in uniform fighting in World War II. "A League of Their Own" is a funny and informing movie that depicts that era. Tom Hanks has the starring role.

Judi and I will be heading for the ballpark this afternoon to watch the All Star game in person on a bright, sunny, late afternoon day. To avoid the traffic, we are leaving our car at the Naval base and taking the trolley to Petco Park. I can't wait.

Special Note: My uncle James died recently. Judi and I had just visited with him and other relatives on our RV trip. I flew back to Memphis just days after we had returned. James loved baseball, but even more he loved watching the young players grow. He never missed a single game any of our relatives or friends played in and would drive long hours to make sure he was in the stands cheering them on. James and I were close and shared our love of baseball. I miss him. And I'll think of him in heaven, watching the game with me tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Gates open at 1:30pm! It's going to be a madhouse, but it's our first time going to an All Star Game. I was down here in San Diego when the game was at then Jack Murphy Stadium (is it still Qualcom?) and that was in 1978. We watched it on TV and back then, most of my Dodgers were in it. Then it was in San Diego in 1992. So, after 24 years, it's at Petco Park and we are going!

    ReplyDelete