Friday, April 23, 2010

Thursday (22 Apr) - PvP and Voice Chat

Thursday (22 Apr) - PvP and Voice Chat

One of the things I wanted to try out before the Friday night pvp fest was the Blizzard voice chat feature. What it is supposed to do is provide a way in game for players to talk to each other with a microphone instead of text only chat. The feature has been around since patch 2.2 or so, but you never hear about it being used. Guilds that need a voice chat capability almost always use a third party product, either teamspeak or ventrilo (which is what Wild's guild uses). Someone has to set up the third party software, though, through some kind of server arrangement, and I believe there is a cost involved with that (although not sure). Anyway, the WoW voice chat feature would seem to be a simple solution for a small group that wanted to talk to each other while playing.

Why am I even bothering with voice chat? Wild certainly never uses the guild's vent service for talking. Wild only listens. Well, it seems that being able to talk to other players is something that the Mrs would be interested in trying; ie, being able to talk in game might get her in game sooner. With our third project (and last project for awhile) completed, we have a window of opportunity here.

So I set out to set up and test out voice chat between my two computers. I read up on all the information out there, and while there are a lot of settings, it seemed simple enough. Oh boy was I ever wrong about that.

After more than an hour of laying out every combination of settings I could think of, I still could not get it to work. Let's call the two computers the Chaitee computer and the Javajoo computer (those were the toons I was testing with).

Here's what would work. I could run the microphone test on both computers and it worked. But in live testing no sound would come out of the speakers on either computer. It didn't seem to matter which computer the mike was connected to, either. The only odd thing is that on the Chaitee computer the "party" display on the chat channel had an "enable voice" selection while on the Javajoo computer that selection was not there.

After a lot of tinkering I got a small display on Chaitee's screen with a little speaker icon. I started to hear all of the sound coming from Javajoo's computer from Chaitee's speakers - but still nothing from the mike. When I disconnected the mike completely, I could still hear Javajoo sounds coming from Chaitee's speakers. Weird.

So, perhaps there is some problem with the Javajoo computer's mike settings or drivers, even though internal testing showed everything working fine. Until I can think of something else to try I'm stuck.

1 comment:

  1. From skinnemuva: That is quite the collection of skanky ladies on the right hanging out with Sylvanas, er... I mean Naithipe. Could they be a little more scantily clad? Laughing

    Sis made it to 80 last night so if Philly/Wild/JB are still up for it we can have a rockin' night with the 80s! The will be the first time we have all been together as 80s (that is if you are available) and in honor I think we should bust out some 80s music to christen the evening. Smile

    Side note: Martin, I started playing Farmville on facebook. Up to a level 10! It is fun to log on once a day and just harvest and plant new crops. Are you playing?

    Reply: Hey erik! Some 80s rock and pvp sounds like a great idea!

    I should have known you would recognize the giant armored lady on the right as Sylvanas. I tried to tell Naithipe that his/her "disguise" wasn't going to work. :-) I know the nameplates at the bottom are kind of hard to read, but the blue lady to the right of Naithipe is Alwayslost, and that includes her clothing. She's level 1, by the way.

    Above is what I had written for today. I doubt we'll have the Mrs playing tonight (Friday) but for the future here is one idea I was trying out to tempt her in game. :-)

    ReplyDelete